The Art of Retargeting: Mastering Lost Customer Recovery

retargeting ads on Google

Retargeting is a powerful marketing tool that allows businesses to reconnect with potential customers who left their website without converting.

By implementing effective strategies, businesses can win back these lost customers and achieve higher conversion rates.

In this article, we’ll delve into the importance of retargeting and discuss the top strategies to recover lost customers.

Why Retargeting Matters?

On average, only 2% of website visitors convert on their first visit, leaving 98% of potential customers unconverted.

Retargeting allows businesses to reach out to these lost customers and bring them back to their websites, increasing the likelihood of conversion.

Businesses can significantly improve their conversion rates and overall return on investment (ROI) by targeting the correct audience with personalised content.

Retargeting Strategies to Win Back Lost Customers

Implementing the right retargeting strategies is essential for businesses to win back lost customers. Here are six proven methods to help you reconnect with your target audience and achieve higher conversion rates:


Segmenting your audience is the first step in retargeting. Divide your website visitors into different groups based on their behaviour and preferences, such as:

By segmenting your audience, you can create tailored retargeting campaigns targeting specific customer groups, resulting in more relevant and compelling ads.


Personalisation is crucial in retargeting campaigns. Tailor your ads to each customer based on browsing history, preferences, and needs.

By providing personalised content, you can build a stronger connection with your audience and increase the likelihood of conversion.

Some ways to personalise retargeting ads include:

Frequency Capping

Limit the number of times a user sees your retargeting ad to avoid overwhelming or annoying them. Frequency capping helps balance staying top of mind and not becoming intrusive. Experiment with different frequency caps to find the optimal balance for your business.

Dynamic Retargeting

Dynamic retargeting takes personalisation a step further by dynamically generating ads based on the user’s browsing behaviour. These ads showcase specific products or service the visitor viewed on your website, making the ad more relevant and appealing to the customer.

To implement dynamic retargeting, use a platform that supports dynamic creative generation and ensure your website is appropriately tagged for tracking visitor behaviour.

Multichannel Retargeting

Don’t limit your retargeting efforts to a single platform. Instead, utilise multiple channels, such as social media, display advertising, and email marketing, to create a comprehensive retargeting strategy.

By reaching customers across various platforms, you can increase brand visibility and improve the chances of converting lost customers.

A/B Testing

Continuous optimisation is critical to the success of retargeting campaigns. Regularly test different ad creatives, headlines, and calls to action to determine what resonates best with your target audience.

A/B testing helps you refine your retargeting strategy and maximise the impact of your campaigns.

To effectively A/B test your retargeting ads, follow these best practices:

Our Key Retargeting Takeaways

Retargeting is a powerful marketing technique that helps businesses reconnect with lost customers and boost conversion rates.

By implementing the right strategies, you can effectively win back lost customers and improve your overall ROI. Here are the key takeaways to keep in mind:

By mastering the art of retargeting, businesses can significantly increase their conversion rates and win back lost customers, ultimately driving higher revenues and long-term growth.

BeClicked specialises in Google Ads Pay Per Click Advertising. Check out our services to help you increase warm enquiries to your company.